Sunday, May 25, 2008

Mother's Day

I know it's late, but the other day I was looking through pictures on my computer and came across this one from Mother's Day last year. So I thought I would do a post on Mother's Day. This Mother's Day was a difficult one. Not only for me, but for the other people in our church who were close to Debbie. Not only were we sad that she wasn't with us, but we were sad because she wasn't with her kids, Chris and Ashley. There were a few tears at church and throughout the day. I really thought of Debbie as my mom in Nocona. I could tell her anything and I knew she would understand. And she always wanted to know what was going on in our lives. I so greatly miss being able to pick up the phone and tell her about my day and what is happening with my kids. Especially with Caroline. Charlie and Madeline have memories for now, but Caroline will never know Debbie's sweet presence in her life. As I promised Debbie the day before she died, I will always tell my kids about her and how much she loved us.

So here is a picture of my Mother's Day this year. My first with three kids. I am so blessed as a Mom that God has entrusted me with three wonderful angels to take care of, to teach, to watch grow, and to travel this journey of life with. They are each special in their own ways and I am filled with love for them. What a joy to see Charlie acting silly, Madeline twirling, and Caroline grinning. I am learning daily about what it means to be a mother and I am so proud to be learning with them. I fall in love with them over and over again as they reach each stage of their lives. My prayer for them is that they come to know Christ as I do, and that through Him they are able to find the things in life that bring them joy. That they will grow and mature in their faith in Him, and share that faith with others. I pray that they will be safe and healthy, and also that they will always feel loved. But for now, I will settle for loving them as much as I can and try daily to give them over to the Lord to do what He wills.
Now for my Mom. This picture was taken last year at the Women of Faith Conference in Dallas. (Mom, we don't take enough pictures together!) What an inspiration my mom has been to me!! We have always been best friends. When I was growing up, my friends were often envious of me because I had such a great relationship with my mother. And I was always very proud of that. I could tell her anything at all and she didn't judge me. She supported me in everything I did and took me to countless gymnastics, cheerleading, and drill team practices, meets and games. She tolerated my constant fighting with my brother. She did everything she possibly could to help me with my anxiety and panic disorder. She sat up with me nights and tolerated my constant stomach-aches and fears. She has helped me through school, getting married and moving away to Florida. She was the reason I wanted to move back to Texas when I got pregnant with my first child. She was there for his birth and has seen me through two more after. She helped me through depression after my second chile and stayed with me as I was so sick with my last pregnancy. She continues to be a major presence in the lives of my kids as well as my brother's. Mom has beaten breast cancer and seen my dad through major heart surgery. She has endured the death of her father. And she has done all of these things with a grace that can only come from God and that I hope to have in my own life. I have learned more from her than any teacher or school could ever teach. She is my confidante and my friend. She is my safe place and my hero. I am proud to call her my mother. Happy Mother's Day, Mom.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OK, you managed to "get me". What wonderful compliments you gave me.
Makes me proud all over again to be you Mom!

Shedding tears all over the computer, I love you!
Mom